In the absence of an adopted State Budget for FY 2019-2020, the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) issued official guidance of a temporary freeze effective July 1, 2019 for many types of salary adjustments until further notice.
In response, the UNC System Office provided guidelines for implementing the temporary salary freeze. This freeze applies regardless of funding source and employee type (SHRA, EHRA and temporary employees) and includes actions already in-process but not yet approved and communicated to the employee. This includes salary adjustments effective July 1, 2019 or later and those that were submitted to the System Office for approval July 1st or later, including those with requested effective dates in June.
The following types of salary increases are covered by this temporary freeze and are on hold until further notice:
- Pre-employee retention where the employee does not have a documented outside offer or a confirmed forthcoming offer
- Increased duties for employees remaining in their position number
- All other salary increases not excluded below
The Following salary increases for existing budgeted positions and/or titles are not subject to this freeze and may proceed as normal:
- Critical retention where the employee has a documented outside offer or an offer is confirmed to be forthcoming
- Interim or acting appointments for an existing vacant position (via supplement only – no base adjustments)
- External or internal competitive events and waivers of recruitment
- Legal settlements or those mandated by federal or state law
HR leads have been contacted by their University HR classification and compensation analyst regarding the impact of the freeze on pending salary actions for their college/units. Updates from the System Office will be provided as they become available.
For more information, contact Lori Preiss, Director of Classification and Compensation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or your HR lead.