|To:||Deans, Directors, and Department Heads|
Warwick A Arden
Scott R. Douglass
|Subject:||Updates to the EHRA Salary Adjustment Pre-Authorization Guidelines|
|Date:||May 13, 2016|
Updates to the EHRA Salary Adjustment Pre-Authorization Guidelines
DATE: May 13, 2016
The Board of Governors recently approved changes to the EHRA (Exempt from Human Resource Act) salary adjustment pre-authorization guidelines by increasing the on-campus approval threshold and clarifying requirements for retention adjustments. The details are listed below, but please note that Human Resources secures approval from the Chancellor/designee on your behalf.
EHRA Permanent Base Salary Adjustments (including competitive events and administrative and honorific supplements): The Chancellor or his designee may approve base salary adjustments up to 15% and $10,000 cumulatively over the employee’s June 30th salary. If the recommended salary adjustment is in excess of both 15% and $10,000, it requires off-campus approval. For example, a $12,000 salary adjustment which equals a 14% increase over the employee’s June 30, 2015 salary would not require off-campus approval.
- Salary adjustments exceeding this threshold that are related to external competitive events require off-campus approval and will be reviewed by the UNC System President or her designee. All others must be pre-authorized by the Board of Governors’ Committee on Personnel and Tenure.
- An FTE increase or appointment length change with a commensurate salary adjustment does not require pre-authorization; however, these guidelines do apply if the rate of pay increases beyond a straight salary conversion.
- Temporary salary adjustments related to a temporary increase in job duties or responsibilities are not included when determining the pre-authorization threshold for permanent base salary adjustments.
EHRA Temporary Salary Adjustments (including interim/acting appointments and temporary additional duties): The Chancellor or his designee may approve temporary salary adjustments that do not exceed 25% over the employee’s June 30th salary or that do not exceed 9 months in duration.
- The UNC System President or her designee may pre-authorize temporary salary adjustments that exceed this threshold up to and including 30% and that do not exceed 13 months in duration.
- The BOG Committee on Personnel and Tenure pre-authorizes all others.
EHRA Critical Retention Adjustments: The Chancellor or his designee may approve retention adjustments up to 15% and $10,000 cumulatively over the employee’s June 30th salary.
- In the event of a documented job offer or verifiable active employment negotiations by a current employee with an outside entity, the UNC System President or her designee may pre-authorize any permanent base salary retention adjustment that is above 15% and $10,000 but not to exceed 30% of the employee’s June 30th salary. The BOG Committee on Personnel and Tenure must pre-authorize all other retention adjustments.
- Pre-emptive retention adjustments (no documented job offer or verifiable active employment negotiations) above 15% and $10,000 cumulatively over the employee’s June 30th salary must be pre-approved by the BOT and BOG Committee on Personnel and Tenure.
If you have questions, please contact Human Resources’ Talent Solutions at 919-515-7175 or EHRA Administration at 919-513-7630.
cc: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
Duane Larick, Senior Vice Provost, Academic Strategy and Resource Management
Kathy Lambert, Interim Associate Vice Chancellor, Human Resources
Barbara Moses, Interim Associate Vice Chancellor, Finance and Resource Management
Vicki Pennington, Assistant Vice Provost
College/Division Business and HR Leads