As you are aware, as part of the 2017 Appropriations Act, the North Carolina General Assembly expanded the exemptions under the North Carolina Human Resources Act for EHRA non-faculty, to include university information technology professionals.
As a result of this change in the law, any NC State University employee currently in a SHRA FLSA exempt information technology classification (salaried and not subject to FLSA overtime rules) will be given a one-time opportunity to convert to EHRA non-faculty status or to remain in their current SHRA FLSA exempt position. SHRA non-exempt employees (those paid hourly and subject to overtime) will not be impacted by this change.
UNC-General Administration (UNC-GA) anticipates approximately 2100 UNC-system SHRA FLSA exempt employees will be eligible for conversion from SHRA to EHRA non-faculty status. System institutions have not yet received the definitive date/period for when this change will become effective on our campuses.
UNC-GA Next Steps and Timeline for Implementation
UNC-GA is in the process of compiling updates to relevant UNC system policies, regulations, and guidelines, including the issuance of guidance documents to system institutions to facilitate a smooth transition that will include:
- implementation guidelines to facilitate the option of existing SHRA FLSA exempt IT professionals to convert to EHRA status;
- related job classifications and salary ranges;
- FAQ’s related to these changes to assist institution human resources offices in communicating these changes to existing SHRA FLSA exempt IT employees whose positions may be impacted; and
- create a special page on the UNC-GA Human Resources website.
UNC-GA anticipates issuing these documents and policy changes to system institutions by the end of November 2017.
University Human Resources Next Steps
Given these anticipated changes, we recognize that existing SHRA IT employees may have questions about this statutory change. For this reason, University Human Resources is working on the following initiatives to help facilitate a smooth transition for our employees at NC State:
- Launch a dedicated page on the HR website, to include FAQs and other conversion communication compiled by UNC-GA (October 2017).
- Work with UNC-GA to obtain answers to your EHRA IT position conversion questions (October – November 2017).
- Hold informational meetings with impacted employees and units, including but not limited to, updates to applicable university governance committees i.e. staff senate, IT Strategic Advisory Committee (ITSAC), Campus IT Directors Committee (CITD), etc. (October – November 2017).
- Develop NC State-specific FAQs for impacted employees (on going).
UNC-GA has provided the first of several FAQs to be released regarding the implementation of the EHRA conversion for information technology professionals, including a chart comparing employment policies for SHRA and EHRA employees. Their FAQs and policy comparison are attached for reference and can also be found online:
If you have questions regarding this pending EHRA IT position conversion, please do not hesitate to contact Stephanie DiMatteo in Talent Solutions at 919-515-4293 or email@example.com or Kelly Sepahrom in EHRA Administration at 919-515-4275 or firstname.lastname@example.org
cc: Scott R. Douglass, Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administration
HR Advisory Committee