|To:||Deans, Directors, and Department Heads|
Warwick A. Arden
Charles A. Maimone
|Subject:||Programs that Involve the Participation of Minors|
|Date:||April 17, 2023|
NC State is committed to providing a safe environment for minors and NC State personnel who interact with individuals under the age of 18. This memo serves as a reminder of university requirements for programs and activities that involve the participation of minors.
Programs and activities within the scope of REG 01.25.18 (Programs that Involve the Participation of Minors), must be registered with the Office of Youth Programs and Compliance and meet the requirements of the regulation.
If the program or activity falls within the scope of REG 01.25.18:
- Contact your Dean, Vice Chancellor or their designee who has supervisory authority over the program or activity for their All activities with minors must be approved at this level. The date of this approval needs to be entered into the REPORTER minors compliance registration form.
- Contact your Human Resources representative to obtain the most current background check information or request new checks for those who will serve as “Covered Individuals” – those that have direct non-incidental contact with minors. (For online programs these are the people who have access to registration information or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) such as name, email, phone etc.). Background checks must be current within the last three years and must indicate the individual is working with minors.
- Register your program or activity in REPORTER using the Minors Compliance Form. All employees have access to this Go to reporter.ncsu.edu. Click your name in the top right corner. Select the “Protection of Minors Compliance Dashboard.” Create or edit your form.
- Once you register the program, all “Covered Individuals” will be assigned to EHPS-YP100, the minors regulation required training course.
- As part of the training you will be asked to review and agree to these Personal Boundaries for working with minors.
Third-Party programs which primarily serve or include minors and use university property may also be subject to REG 01.25.18. If you are reserving NC State space for a third party that is hosting minors within the scope of REG 01.25.18, the program or activity must meet the requirements of the regulation including registration, background checks, insurance and liability waivers.
For more information on compliance and youth programs, visit the Department of Risk Assessment website or contact Stacy Fair, Director of Youth Programs and Compliance, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919- 515-4256. For questions related to background checks, please contact the Background Check Program at email@example.com.
cc: David Rainer, Associate Vice Chancellor, Environmental Health and Public Safety
Stacy Fair, Director of Youth Programs and Compliance, Environmental Health and Public Safety