The NC Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) has issued changes to the State Budget Manual effective April 1, 2021 to better balance flexibility, efficiency and accountability. The major relevant changes are as follows:
- The 100-mile distinction for mileage reimbursement has been removed. All miles traveled by personal vehicles will be reimbursed at the IRS rate of 56 cents per mile.
- Reimbursement for travel involving political activity is now prohibited.
- Refreshment reimbursement of $5/person for events is now allowable for events with 10 or more participants, lowered from 20. Departments may now exceed the $5 refreshment allowance for external conferences if the cost is incorporated into the conference fee.
- The allowable expense for purchasing a plaque or framing a certificate for meritorious services has been increased from $50 to $100.
- The Safety shoe allowance is now set at $250 per employee per biennium.
These changes have been updated in The Travel Center in Financials. The guidelines have been combined into two documents, The Travel Manual and Conference & Meeting Expenses on the Controller’s Office website. I encourage you to review in detail.
cc: Mary Peloquin-Dodd, Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance and University Treasurer