In consultation with the Office of State Human Resources, the University of North Carolina System has updated its work and leave provisions. Those provisions will be in effect from Jan. 1, 2021, through June 30, 2021, unless revised or rescinded. The revised guidance includes the following provisions:
- All permanent and temporary employees can get their first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine during the university’s normal hours of operation, and they will receive paid work time for doing so. Employees must obtain their supervisor’s approval to get the vaccine during work hours. This paid work time does not count against COVID-19 paid administrative leave.
- All permanent and temporary employees who experience any reaction to the vaccine on the day they are vaccinated or the day after receiving the vaccine may request COVID-19 paid administrative leave if they need to take time off work as a result of their reaction.
- Employees who experience a reaction to the vaccine on any day after the days mentioned above can request personal leave if they need to take additional time off work as a result of their reaction.
- Leave may be applied retroactively back to Jan. 1, 2021.
- Employees may request paid administrative leave by logging into MyPackPortal and selecting the COVID-19 paid administrative leave tile.
Provision for Interchangeability of Leave
The UNC System has extended through June 30, 2021, the provision allowing employees to use accrued sick leave, vacation and bonus leave for approved absences related to COVID-19.
Use of COVID-19 Compensatory Time
At the discretion of the chancellor, the payout for any COVID-19 compensatory time that was accrued during the spring and summer of 2020 but not paid out or used by March 1, 2021, may be extended to March 1, 2022.
If you have questions about these updates, please contact your college, division or unit HR representative or University Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the leave provisions related to COVID-19, go to the Leave Provisions section on UHR’s Pandemic Leave Options and Information webpage. For more COVID-19 guidelines or resources, visit UHR’s pandemic website.