|To:||Deans, Directors, and Department Heads|
Warwick A. Arden
Charles A. Maimone
|Subject:||Important Update: HR COVID-19 Special Faculty and Staff Leave Provisions, Special Compensation for Eligible Mandatory Onsite Employees and Office of State Budget Management (OSBM) Updates|
|Date:||May 1, 2020|
First, we wish to extend our gratitude to you and your colleagues as we have implemented numerous administrative and operational changes resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. Your hard work, diligence, adaptability and dedication to NC State have enabled our university to sustain business continuity amidst unprecedented challenges.
We appreciate your leadership as we navigate new and changing conditions. The following HR and budget related updates are provided for your reference:
Suspension of Nonessential HR Actions
The University of North Carolina System guidance related to the temporary suspension of nonessential human resource actions will remain in effect until further notice. This guidance is closely aligned to the HR guidance provided in a North Carolina Office of State Budget and Management memo. However, at this time, system institutions have been asked to follow the UNC System guidance related to the suspension of nonessential HR actions. That guidance is detailed in this March 27 memo. University Human Resources will keep campus updated on any changes to this guidance by the UNC System.
Addendum to COVID-19 Special Faculty and Staff Work and Leave Provisions
On April 29, 2020, the UNC System issued an addendum to its COVID-19 Special Faculty and Staff Work and Leave Provisions issued in March 2020. The UNC System also extended the provisions effective date through May 8, 2020.
Special Compensation for Eligible Mandatory Onsite Employees
The university will continue to provide special compensation at time and a half to eligible mandatory employees who are required to work on-site at NC State through May 8, 2020. Please note that the special compensation rate for eligible mandatory on-site employees may change after May 8, 2020, at the university’s discretion and based on the operational and fiscal needs of the university.
In accordance with UNC System guidelines, all the other April 1-30, 2020 COVID-19 Special Faculty and Staff Work and Leave Provisions will remain in effect through May 8, 2020.
Budget Management Measures
In late April, we also received guidance from the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM). This guidance reiterated the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on the state economy and requested all state agencies to limit general fund (state appropriated) expenditures to those deemed mission critical for the remainder of this fiscal year. Specifically, agencies are to implement the following budget management measures:
- Continuing to limit purchases of goods and services to mission critical and COVID-19 items only. This limitation does not apply to the purchase of supplies, equipment and materials required for education instruction.
- Once the stay-at-home order is rescinded, travel and training requirements should be limited to instances involving public safety and health, job requirements, economic development opportunities, and emergency situations related to the custody and/or care of persons for whom the state is responsible, except as specifically approved by the department head as an exception to this measure.
Thank you for reporting COVID-19 related expenditures to the University Budget Office. This data will be used to provide necessary information to the UNC System Office and various state and federal agencies, to ensure the impact of COVID-19 to our institution and related challenges are appropriately represented in state and federal decision-making.
We realize this is an unprecedented time for our Wolfpack community, and thank you for your leadership and commitment to NC State University.
For more information, please contact the following:
- For general HR questions: Your unit/college HR representative or University Human Resources
- For new hire questions: David Perryman, director of Talent Acquisition and Employment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For salary and/or position action questions: Lori Preiss, director of Classification and Compensation at email@example.com.
- For budget questions: University Budget Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
cc: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
Marie Y. Williams, Associate Vice Chancellor, University Human Resources
Barbara A. Moses, Associate Vice Chancellor, Budget and Resource Management
Brad C. Bohlander, Associate Vice Chancellor, University Communications